Wednesday 6 November 2013

Destination: Sioux City, Iowa - Travel Day: September 25, 2012



Destination: Sioux City, Iowa

Travel Day: September 25, 2012


I’m on the road by 710 after a lobby breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast. Fresh out of the block this morning Mr. Shuffle gives me Randy Travis and “Walk Your Own Road”. His musical games continue.

I like Missouri. It’s got a variety of driving terrain, changing traffic volumes, and it’s visually interesting. I run into some heavy rainstorms, and nearly lose the right side of the car at an onramp to a guy in a green Taurus who didn’t look. Once on I-29 just north of Kansas City, I use the OnStar to call my nephew to wish him Happy Birthday. He doesn’t answer, so I leave a voicemail. 

The miles and the music carry me along. It’s a strange, soft, cocoonlike sensation flying along in a combination of machinery, music, and randomly generated thoughts. After all these days on the road it’s becoming a more comfortable place to be.

Then there’s Iowa. Look at the pictures. That’s Iowa.



Mile, after mile, after mile. I’m thankful for the good night’s sleep. I have no urge to nod off. Though I probably could and not hit anything.



I find the hotel just off the highway, after dodging some rather confusing construction zones through Sioux City. It seems they are trying to rebuild the entire stretch of highway through town. The hotel is also bit of a bizarre design. It’s as if it was once a motel with outside walkways, but somewhere in its life they built in the walkways, and then left the floor to ceiling glass windows in place. It also gives me a bit of a creepy feeling. I can’t put my finger on why.
My dining options are limited. Once again it comes down to fast food or Applebee’s. Remember that I faced the same choices in Sioux Falls? What is it with desk clerks in that part of the world where the best they can suggest is Applebee’s? To be fair it’s not their fault dining options are limited, but I’m seeing a trend.

So I drive to Applebee’s. I take my seat. I am presented with a drink menu that includes several beer choices. I ask for one of them. Sadly none of the listed beers are available. Seems the old menus don’t correspond to the new beer offerings. The young server is apologetic. I ask him a philosophical, and purely rhetorical, question that I am sure confuses him. “Where do we begin to address the disconnect between corporate management decisions and the operations people who need to do the work?” I think I might have frightened him a bit because the manager then comes over to explain the beer offerings. I make the choice of a medium dark ale, and the Bourbon Street steak with baked potato. The young server comes back and we have a conversation. He would one day like to visit Canada.

I make my way back to the hotel and a rather unremarkable night’s sleep. In all this was one of those road days that will soon fade away. I’m guessing that’s why a lot of people are from Iowa, but choose to live somewhere else. It’s the American version of Saskatchewan.

No comments:

Post a Comment