Thursday 22 September 2011

Worst Blog Post Yet, Molasses Time Passes, Massage, Roasting Me, Nap, Prime Rib Dinner

I slept late. I felt quite slow and logy all day. Didn't do anything except read, and stare at the water. Staring at the water has become habit forming. Time passes like molasses and I dread the withdrawal when I leave.
That was how I spent the morning. I didn't go out for breakfast, or even a cup of tea. I locked myself in the room in a vacuum of thought. A Travel Somebody who's advice I Frequently follow said you should always be prepared to take a day off during your vacation. Learning and experiencing new and different things can overwhelm the senses and you should be prepared to take some down time. So I did.
It just happened to be the morning of my massage. I had a wonderful deep tissue massage in the hotel's Moana Lani Spa. Yes, I pampered myself, just as with the Afternoon Tea the day before I left with a tremendous sense of relaxation and comfort.
In anticipation of another long, grey, and chilly Pacific Northwest winter. I spend the latter half of the day roasting in the sun, building up credits in my Vitamin D account. Slathered in sun block. But it turns out I might have missed a couple of small spots. Let's just say I now have some interesting gradations in my tan.
A long nap seemed called for as the afternoon wore on so around four o'clock I napped for a while.
I awoke ravenously hungry. Remembering I had eaten nothing all day I went and stood on the lanai trying to find some inspiration for a hearty dinner. I thought of Tony Roma's a few blocks up on Kalakaua but the last time I was there two years ago it had desperately needed a makeover, so I put that thought on the back burner. I thought and then quickly discarded the Atlantis Steak and Seafood place a block over. I swore never to return there after the last pathetic meal I had. And then I look down and realize I am right next door to the Outrigger Waikiki and another Waikiki dining institution, Chuck's Steakhouse.

So throw on some long pants and head over there for a wonderful beachfront dinner. With views of Diamond Head and the ocean to interest me I demolish a 12 oz, melt in your mouth slab of medium rare Prime Rib, a large baked potato with the works, a green salad and two bottles of Kona Longboard. I just barely make my way through it, and I sit there nursing my second beer because I'm not sure there's room for it.
The sun sets, I digest slowly both the marvelous food, and the beautiful sunset, feel the soft touch of the breeze, and suffer through another moment of vacation magic.
Not quite ready to turn in I leave Chucks and walk across the street for a couple of Landsharks, then head home to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment